Thursday, September 6, 2007

Congratulations Jim!

This Monday Jim finished the Disneyland Half Marathon in 2 hours 10 minutes and 47 seconds. He is amazing!!

We had a really fun weekend in LA. Went to Medieval Times, went to Disneyland, almost died in the triple digit weather, and learned to always spend the extra $8 a day for insurance on rental cars (and to always look behind when backing up).

Here's Jim in the elevator getting ready to go run. If he looks blurry, it's because it's 4:30 in the morning - the run started at 6.



Mickey and Miney Mouse were there to start the show. There were about 14000 runners. It was suuuuper crowded.
















After showering and ice-bathing, here's Jim relaxing and sporting his fancy new pin.















After seeing Jim start, and cheering him on at the 3 mile mark, I knew I had a little while before he reached the finish line, so I headed to the Disneyland Hotel gym to get a little run in on my own.

I ran about 2.5 miles, and even in that short (ha, I now think that's short!) amount of time, my foot started hurting. I called my physical therapist when I got back in town, and had an appointment today.
I really don't understand how last week I had tendonitis in my foot and was supposed to take pain killers and this week the problem is really tight muscles in my leg and foot and I need deep tissue massage. And in both cases I'm supposed to not run, and rest my foot...
This Saturday is supposed to be our last long run before the marathon - 20 miles. My physical therapist told me to go easy, see what I can do, maybe run-walk for a short distance, but not to run if it hurt.
I have two more deep tissue massage sessions next week, and I'm working on stretches and some exercises.
It's frustrating to be doing so well, and then get stuck. Crosstraining and resting...I haven't really run in 4 weeks, when I went 14 miles. I have 5 weeks until my marathon. I'm hoping I can really run it, but I'm not sure how well my body can tolerate that. But luckily the Portland Marathon is pretty walker friendly. So I'm getting across that finish line somehow!

No comments: